What is DOLA?
DeKalb OnLine Academy is a component of the DeKalb County School District curriculum. It is designed to enhance the educational experience for students by providing greater access to learning via online courses that can be taken at any time, in any place, and at any pace via the Internet.
What is DOLA Beyond the Day?
DOLA Beyond the Day courses are taken in addition to a student’s regular schedule in his/her home school. Students are required to read content, complete assignments, take quizzes, and post discussions, and participate in viral discussions.
Is there a fee?
A fee is attached to Beyond the Day courses as they exceed the number of courses allowed in a normal schedule.
What is the tuition cost for DOLA Beyond the Day courses?
Half-unit (.5) courses cost $250.00 for DeKalb County School District (DCSD) students
Whole-unit (1.0) courses cost $500.00 for DCSD students
Half-unit (.5) courses cost $300.00 for Non-DCSD students
Whole-unit (1.0) courses cost $600.00 for Non-DCSD students
Do I have to attend classes?
DOLA courses are offered in a distance learning environment so that students can access their online courses at anytime to read assignments, participate in discussions, and submit completed assignments. Although there is no physical classroom to which students report, DeKalb OnLine Academy students are expected to attend and participate in their online classroom academic courses in the same way that they would attend and participate in traditional classroom courses.
When and where do I attend class?
BD courses take place after a student’s regular school day. However, students have access to their courses 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They can complete assignments, take quizzes, and post discussions at any time.
How do I access my classes?
After you are successfully enrolled in your DOLA course/s, use the following directions to log into your course/s:
- Go to the DOLA homepage (https://www.dekalbonlineacademy.org).
- Provide your identification information:
- Type your username in the Username box.
- This is simply the letter ‘s’ followed by your student number (EXAMPLE: S1234567).
- Type your password in the Password box.
- This is the word DEKALB in all capital letters unless you have changed it.
- Press the Login button. You should see your name under the Welcome box toward the top left of the page. You should also see your name in the blue bar toward the top right of the page.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page. You should see the subject area, the semester, and the title of the course you are taking. If you see only the semester displayed, click on the plus sign (+) next to the semester in order to display your course.
- Click on the title of the class. You are now on the homepage for your course. Read all of the information.
- Click on the word Content in the gray bar toward the top left of the page.
How much time do I devote to an online class?
Students should spend at least one to two hours daily on assignments for each online course. For example, students attending schools that have Block scheduling should spend at least 90 minutes a day on each course. Students attending schools that have Traditional scheduling should spend at least 55 minutes a day on each course. Students should also be mindful of each course's pacing chart in order to keep up with assignment submission dates and requirements.
Will my teacher be online with me?
No. Your teacher is not always online at the time that you are. However, your teacher will schedule Horizon Wimba Live Classroom sessions to work with you on assignments and create presentations that will assist with your online learning. Moreover, you may contact your teacher by either paging, calling, or emailing him/her.
Who are DOLA teachers?
DOLA students are carefully guided through their coursework by Georgia certified DeKalb County teachers. DOLA teachers have received training in the pedagogy of online course development and instruction. They have also received training in the use of the software platform used to support DeKalb OnLine Academy (DOLA).
Is there an orientation for online students?
Yes, the virtual orientation course is online at www.dekalbonlineacademy.org. To access the orientation videos, click the link entitled ‘Virtual Orientation’.